- Founded by Jeff Bezos on July 5, 1994 based in Seattle, Washington
- Amazon is the world’s largest internet company by revenue
- Amazon began as an online bookstore
- The first book Amazon.com ever sold was Fluid Concepts & Creative Analogies: Computer Models of the Fundamental Mechanisms of Thought.
- Flipkart was founded on 2007 by Sachin Bansaland Binny Bansal
- Initially, they had spent ₹400,000(US$6,100) only for making the website to set up the business
- Flipkart started by selling books online and popularized the idea of buying books online in India.
- Snapdeal was started by Kunal Bahl and Rohit Bansal in February 2010
- Snapdeal was started as a daily deals platform, but expanded in September 2011 to become an online marketplace
- There is a village renamed after Snapdeal in 2011, after the Indian E-commerce giant took an initiative and installed 15 hand-pumps in the village Shiv Nagar (old name), located in Muzaffarnagar, Uttar Pradesh, India. In return, the villagers gave the acknowledgement by renaming the village’s name to Snapdeal.com Nagar.
- Alibaba.com Was founded in year 1999 by Jack Ma along with his 17 friends at Hangzhou,China.
- The company’s name came from the character Ali Baba from the Arabian literature One Thousand and One Nights because of its universal appeal.
- From 1999 to 2000, Alibaba Group raised a total of US$25 Million from SoftBank, Goldman Sachs, Fidelity and some other institutions.
- Jabong.com is a fashion and lifestyle e-commerce portal founded by Praveen Sinha, Lakshmi Potluri, Arun Chandra Mohan and Manu Jain in 2012
- According to a ComScore report of September 2012, Jabong.com had the second highest amount of traffic on its website, among Indian e-commerce websites, within a few months of its launch
- In July 2016, Jabong was acquired by Myntra, subsidiary of Flipkart for an undisclosed amount.
- Shopclues.com was established in July 2011 in Silicon Valley by Sanjay Sethi, Sandeep Aggarwal and Radhika Aggarwal. based in Gurgaon.
- The company highly promotes local as well as regional brands
- The company claims to have over 6 lakh merchants and 2.8 crore products on its platform, serving over 32,000 pincodes across the country
- OLX .com was founded by Alec Oxenford and Fabrice Grinda in 2006.
- South African media group Naspers, acquired a majority of OLX in 2010 and 95% of the company in 2014
- In 2006, OLX acquired Mundoanuncio.com, a classifieds site targeting the Hispanic market and in 2007, OLX made an investment Chinese classifieds site in Edeng.cn
- In India, in 2016, OLX said about 72% of all used cars sold monthly in India were from transactions on the site. The number of used car sales on the site in India grew 100 per cent in 2016 from 2015. About 200,000 vehicles with a value of $1 billion are sold monthly on the site compared to 95,000 cars worth $470 million in 2015
- Quicker.com was founded by Pranay Chuletand Jiby Thomas in 2008 headquatered in Bangalore
- Quikr provides an online classified advertising platform for users to buy or sell goods and services from each other. Other services offered include a miss call service,and instant messaging
- In January 2016, Quikr announced it had acquired the real estate portal commonfloor.com in a $200 million all-stock deal and will be merging it with its real estate division QuikrHomes